Part Time Kennel Technician
- Performs daily cleaning and sanitizing of kennels, cages and public areas. Properly follows cleaning and disease control protocols to ensure a safe, healthy environment.
- Feeds shelter animals according to HSEP guidelines.
- Follows safety guidelines to ensure a safe work environment for staff and living environment for the animals. Takes immediate action to address any safety concern or issue that could put an employee, volunteer, customer, animal or the HSEP at risk.
- Stocks food storage areas as needed, washes towels and blankets and spot cleans kennels and public areas throughout the day. Ensures that animal waste is picked up and disposed of in a timely manner.
- Keeps supervisor informed of animal behavior, changes in health, and other concerns.
- Interacts and plays with animals to increase their socialization and adoptability.
- Transports animals for cremation, surgery and offsite adoption events.
- Operates crematorium and performs safe and humane animal disposal.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Assists customers with animal intake and adoption services.
- Represents the HSEP in a professional and courteous manner to the public, volunteers and staff members.
- Actively promotes the HSEP programs, services and events to customers, volunteers and staff members.
- Refers customers to appropriate staff members for service when necessary.
High School Diploma or GED. Current Texas Driver’s License, automobile liability insurance and insurable driving record.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of animal behavior, health, handling, breed and characteristics.
- Customer service skills and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to read and understand instructions.
- Ability to work with animals, disinfectants and cleaning supplies.
- Ability to perform physical work: scrubbing, mopping, and lifting between 50 – 70 lbs. with reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to stand up and walk around for up to 8 hours a day.
- Ability to work in a fast passed environment and to work with a variety of individuals.
- Ability to use a computer preferred.
Work is performed in an animal shelter setting with the potential for exposure to high noise levels, zoonotic disease, animal bites and scratches. Work is performed indoors and outdoors with exposure to cleaning agents in the kennel area. Frequent walking, standing, bending, and stooping are required for up to 8 hours a day to perform essential job functions. Regular lifting of 50 – 70 lbs. with reasonable accommodation is required.
If you are emailing your application, please include "Kennel Technician" in the subject line.